Written by John Wiseman If you are wanting to grow wholesome food, beautiful pollinators, or trees and shrubs, they all need nourishment that in turn will nourish our bodies and souls. Lets think a bit longer term and start composting. It’s easy! We all have the ingredients around our abodes. They are: carbon, nitrogen, air, and water. Compost is a keystone building block to vital soil. Let’s just try getting the ingredients in good proportions and let the composting critters do 90% of the labor. Oh, the other 10% is up to us. The simplest composting starts with a layered [...]
My grandpa Coram was born in Lebanon. His family moved to the United States when he was an infant. Grandma’s family moved from Lebanon and settled in Jackson, Ohio, where she was born. Grandma always told people grandpa was born in Camel, West Virginia. When I asked her why she said their courthouse had burned down and all the records were lost. She feared he may be deported someday if folks knew where he was born, even though he was a legal resident. I thought she was being ridiculous. I don’t think that anymore, sadly. Anyone who knew them assumed [...]
Transylvania Shares has scheduled its virtual grand opening for June 21st. The board is working to get the website updated with items we have taken in and we are excited to share. We are accepting donations and loans of items folks would like to contribute to the lending library. If you have items you would like to share, please fill out this form and we will contact you: https://movingtoconservers.com/have-an-item-you-would-like-to-donate-or-loan-to-transylvania-shares-let-us-know/ We look forward to hearing from you and sharing more stuff with the community.
Moving to Conservers is looking for vegetable seedling donations. Join us Thursday for a conference call at 5:30 pm!
Our last gathering, via conference call, was absolutely fantastic. Thanks to those who dialed in and shared your love and thoughts for our community. An initiative that continues our work in the community was born and we are moving full speed ahead. We are having another call this Thursday if you would like to join in the fun. Here is a note Maureen sent out regarding the project. Let us know if you would like to help! Moving to Conservers, a grassroots organization committed to community, sustainability and zero-waste, is working on an initiative to help people learn/start to grow [...]
One of our members shared a link about home composting that is mighty impressive. She thought others might enjoy the information and asked if we could pass it on so here it is: https://ilsr.org/home-composting/ I hope you find it helpful. We have plenty of local experts in Conservers if you are interested in starting your own. Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
Happy Earth Day! I hope everyone is finding a way to celebrate Earth Day. This is certainly different than the Earth Day we had planned. Our phone has been ringing a lot and we are excited by the energy in our community to care for each other. We have also heard the dire projections of hunger that may be in the world's future. What can one person do? Here is a suggestion. Use your food scraps to help grow more food locally. It is a great start and can have a huge impact. It is estimated 25 - 40 percent [...]