Moving to Conservers is currently working on cataloging comPosts sites in the area. This is a working page towards publishing a directory that lets citizens know where they can drop off their compost.
- Food scraps and other organic material turns to soil and can be used to grow food and flowers (food for pollinators).
- Organics in landfills break down anaerobically (without oxygen) to produce methane gas, a greenhouse gas 21 times more harmful than CO2.
- Keeps a valuable resource out of the landfill.
- Waste less water since compost helps with moisture retention.
- Reduce civic costs for waste collection and thereby reduce fuel use.
- Extend the life of landfills.
Why a directory of drop-off locations?
- Some of our members do not have the space or facilities to compost at home.
- Some of our members who do have the space prefer to donate their scraps to gardens and farms so that it can be used for local food production.